If you conducting a interviews for so that you can add a new team member make sure that you include the following Roles in the Interview Loop.
Role 1: Cultural Fit
Ask you'r self:
- Will this person fit in within the team?
- Will they be someone who can talk to our customers?
- Are they a self starter or will they need lots of direction?
- Do they seem like someone who will want to own problems/solutions?
Ask the Candidate :
- Questions about their resume.
- Look for examples in their past work or education which demonsrate the characteristics described in the Goals.
- Ask open ended questions about their preferred style of work.
- Ask about team sizes, style.
Role 2: Programming
Can this candidate code Java(or The Primary Language) in a well organized, elegant, performant way.
Do they seem like they have written Java in anger. Checking for NPEs, Javadoc and so forth.
- Coding should be done on a white board.
- Do they dry-run their solutions with appropriate test values?
Role 3: Yoda Role
Should see how deep and wide this persons experience and technical knowledge is. These should be hard/expansive technical questions. How much growth potential does the person seem to have at first glance. Questions should be deliberately open ended.